Understanding the Selection Process
- Annual solicitation across three platforms
- Devices (including digital/wireless health)
- Faculty in all series and ranks at UC Davis, UC Irvine, UCLA, UC San Diego, and UC San Francisco
- Postdoctoral scholars are eligible to submit applications as Co-PI with a faculty PI
- Projects with existing or imminent target validation and a clear clinical indication
- Patents or patent applications are filed or potential for obtaining defensible intellectual property is strong
- Local review of two-page pre-applications assess scientific merit and product developmental potential
- One-month review period
- Centralized submission
- Highest potential projects invited to submit full proposals
Full Application Process
- Invitation only, based on pre-application
- Three-stage review:
- Central Review by UC CAI Review Committee consisting of Center leadership and external experts. The highest-scoring proposals advance to External Review. One-month review period.
- External Review by External Selection Committee, an ad hoc panel of experts form industry and academia with specialized disease, platform, regulatory and commercilization knowledge. One-month review period. Highest-scoring proposals advance to NHLBI.
- NHLBI Review recommends the most promising proposals for entry into the Center.