Woman-Owned Small Business Certification
In an effort to support entrepreneurs from all backgrounds, the National Center for Advancing Translational Sciences (NCATS) encourages women entrepreneurs and researchers to consider Woman-Owned Business Certification (WOSB) certification as they apply for funding through the Small Business Innovation Research (SBIR) and Small Business Technology Transfer (STTR) programs.
Benefits of Obtaining a Woman-Owned Small Business Certification
- Priority access to specialized business trainings, counseling, marketing assistance and high-level executive development
- Eligibility for surplus government property and supplies, SBA-guaranteed loans and bonding assistance
- Helping to ensure that the government grants funding to women equally
Understanding Whether Your Company Qualifies as a WOSB
- A WOSB firm must be:
- At least 51% owned and controlled by one or more women, and primarily managed by one or more women (who must be U.S. citizens)
- Ownership must be direct and not subject to conditions; a woman or women must manage day to day operations and provide verifying documents
- "Small" in its primary industry in accordance with the Small Business Administration (SBA)'s size standards for that industry
- Self-certified by registering on the SF424 (R&R) Form in the System for Award Management
In addition to considering the WOSB certification, NCATS invites you to review their funding opportunities and stream their recent webinar to learn more about the benefits of NCATS SBIR and STTR funding for women entrepreneurs and researchers.